Talib Kweli's latest album Eardrum brings conscious hip-hop to a new level. This time Kweli focuses on the production element of his music and combines that with his lyrical mastership proving both can work together to create amazing music. Collaborating with the Kanye West, Just Blaze, Will.I.Am, and UGK just to name a few, Kweli took some time to answer a few Qs about the new album, running his own label, and the state of hip-hop today.

Tell me about the new album, specifically the title, why Eardrum?
I called the new album Eardrum so people could focus on the musicality of what I do, and not just the lyrics.

You had a bunch of guests like Norah Jones, UGK, and Sizzla on Eardrum. Was there anyone you wanted to get on the album who you couldn’t sort things out with?
No, not particularly. I recorded songs that I did not use though.

Why will Eardrum top your last album?
Because it's the first release out on my own label, Blacksmith.

How is the tour going?
Great, I'm always on tour.

What do you think it is that makes you such an incredible MC?
I've honed my skills and mastered my craft. I take it seriously.

Whose your favorite rapper out at the moment?
Jean Grae and Mitchy Slick, Krondon and Phil da Agony from Strong Arm Steady.

Who would you like to work with that you haven't already?
Premier, Bjork, a bunch of folks.

What's the toughest thing so far about being CEO of your own label?
Changing the dynamics of your relationships with your friends and colleagues because you're a boss now.

Is there another Blackstar album coming out sometime soon?
No time soon because we have to make one first.

What do you make of hip-hop today?
I love it!

Why do you choose to take the "conscious" route with your music?
That route choose me. I do what I know, and master my own formula, not another man's.

Do you think major labels put a lot of pressure on their artists?
No, I think majors should put more pressure on their artists to perform. These majors in urban music set up the artists for the fall by depending on first week sales and radio play to sell records. The artists are following suit and becoming lazy.

Would you say the best hip-hop comes from the underground?
The best hip-hop comes from the heart.

What would you say the highlight of you career has been?
This interview! peace. :)

Originally published @ http://www.collegeclub.com/article/view/3704

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).